Friday, December 28, 2012

Novel Exam: Second Year - May 2004


Alexandria University                  Second Year 
Faculty of Education                   May 2004
English Department                     Time: Three Hours

Novel

Answer the Following Question:

1. Comment fully on the three following quotations, the opening paragraphs of the novels you studied, Gulliver's Travels, Robinson Crusoe, and Emma and explain how important they are in reflecting the characters of the novels' protagonists and in foretelling and justifying the troubles they will face later on in their lives.

• My father had a small estate in Nottinghamshire; 1 was the third of five sons. He sent me to Emanuel College in Cambridge... where I resided three years, and applied myself close to my studies. But the charge of maintaining me ... being too great for a narrow fortune, I was bound apprentice to Mr. James Bates, an eminent surgeon in London ....1 got forty pounds and a promise of thirty pounds a year to maintain me at Leyden [to study medicine]. Soon after my return from Leyden, I [worked as a surgeon and] resolved to settle in London, to which Mr. Bates... encouraged me.... But my good Master Bates dying in two years after, and I having few friends, my business began to fail; for my conscience would not suffer me to imitate the bad practice of too many among my brethren. Having therefore consulted with my wife, and some of my acquaintance, 1 determined to go .. .to sea.

• I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family.... [My father] got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade lived afterward at York, from whence he married my mother.. ..Being the third son of the family and not bred to any trade, my head began to be filled early with rambling thoughts. My father, who was very ancient, had given me a competent share of learning... and designed me for the law; but I would be satisfied with nothing but going to sea, and my inclination to this led me so strongly against the will, nay, the commands of my father, and against all the entreaties and persuasions of my mother and other friends, that there seemed to be something fatal in that propension of nature tending directly to the life of misery which was to befall me.

• Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one yeas in the world with very little to distress or vex her.....The real evils indeed of Emma's situation were the powers of having rather too much her own way, and a disposition to think a little too well of herself.....Sorrow came, a gentle sorrow, Miss Taylor married.....[Emma] was now in great danger of suffering from intellectual solitude.