ALEXANDRIA UNIVERSITY GRAMMAR AND PHONETICS EXAM
FACULTY OF EDUCATION TERM ONE
ENGLISH DEPARTMENT JANUARY 2003
FOURTH YEAR TIME : 2 HOURS
PART ONE: PHONETICS
- Discuss the difference between phonetics and phonology.
- Allophonic variations are not necessarily the same in all languages. Discuss the above statement. Provide examples wherever possible.
- Phonological processes facilitate the process of oral \ communication. Discuss the validity’ of this statement.
PART TWO: GRAMMAR
I- Draw and fully label the time lines of the following sentences:
- I realized that I had seen this weird man somewhere before.
- A French man has broken the record for sailing round the world single-handed.
- The earth came into existence about 4,500 million years ago.
II- Draw a tree diagram for each of the following sentences:
- The young engineer designed a carefully-graded introduction to the new computer program for all the employees in the company.
- Jack expected that Mary knew that Albert is an honest and trustworthy man.
- Nowadays, mysterious crop circles in Southern England take the form of strange large patterns.