Faculty of Education,
May, 2004. First Year. Time: 2 hours.
Essay and Comprehension Examination.
Part 1: Essay:- Choose TWO topics and write one paragraph for each:
- Describe the wedding party of a dear friend.
- The house of your dreams.
- A day you will never forget.
Part 2: Comprehension:- Read the passage and answer ALL the questions below.
On The Ball.
Two Hungarian brothers tried to develop a ball-point pen in 1937. One of the brothers, Ladislas Biro, was a newspaper editor who hated filling fountain pens and cleaning ink smudges from his hands, papers and desk. Together, Ladislas and his brother George, a chemist, tried to improve the type of ink and design a better pen.
By 1938, they had made a few ball-point pens, and while visiting Argentina they demonstrated one to the president of Argentina. He invited the brothers to open a pen factory in his country. When World War II began in Europe, the Biro brothers escaped to Argentina. Five years later they were producing pens there.
Meanwhile, a Chicago salesman named Milton Reynolds had seen the Biro pens in stores in Argentina When he returned to the United States, he opened a factory and his first pens went on sale in autumn 1945. Soon ball-point pens were selling by the millions.
Around this time, Frenchman Marcel Bich became interested in ball-point pen design. He worked on this for two years until finally, in 1952, Bich produced a ball-point pen that wrote smoothly. The pen, which was called the Bic, has remained popular ever since.
The original inventors have not been forgotten, however. In England a ball-point pen is still known as a biro.
Answer All the fallowing questions using your own words:
- What were the brothers' Biro jobs? Why did they in invent such a pen?
- Did the president of Argentina like their invention? Why?
- Why is the ball-point pen still known as a biro in England? When was it perfected?
- Give a similar word or phrase for the underlined words in,the passage: smudges - demonstrated.
- In your own words briefly tell the story of how the ball-pointed pen was invented and then became popular.