Alexandria University Second Term, 2007
Faculty of Education Second Year
Department of English 2 Hours
I. WRITING: (20 Marks)
Write an argumentative essay on ONE of the following.
- Childhood is not the happiest time of your life.
- Only a mad man would choose to live in a large city.
- Power corrupts.
II. BRAINSTORMING: (10 Marks)
In a table, mention 5 supporting and 5 opposing opinions for ONE of the following topics: (Use meaningful phrases)
- Public figures should expect people to be interested in their private life.
- Government officials should rely on their own judgements rather than carrying out the will of the people whom they serve.
III. EDITING: (10 Marks)
Rewrite the following sentences after correction.
( There are no punctuation mistakes; all are related to vocabulary or grammar.)
- Much unknown plants and animals are disappearing as the tropical forests are destroying.
- The faint is not uncommon in olderly people who stand up suddenly.
- Extra wheels attach beside and below the rail to keep roller-coaster cars on track weather they are right-side up, upside-down, or side way.
- Disney World has many robots that look life.
- Humans have done great advances in technology at the expense of the environment.
- Walls that are smooth and flat able sound to bounce back as an echo.