Alexandria University Second Year
Faculty of Education Civilization
English Department January 2005
Time: 3 hours
Answer TWO questions from section A and TWO questions from section B:
- The industrial revolution marked the beginning of a new era in British history. Compare and contrast its advantages and disadvantages.
- World War Two is a direct result of the events that took place between 1918 and 1939. Explain.
- Write short notes on FOUR of the following:
- a. Marco Polo.
- b. The English Bill of Rights.
- c. The Declaration of the Rights of Man.
- d. Martin Luther.
- e. James Watt.
- f. Benito Mussolini.
- Despite the apparent uniformity of the Victorian age, there were many divergent voices during the period. Discuss this statement with examples.
- Romanticism is often viewed as a reaction against the Age of Reason. Do you agree with this statement? Mention evidence to justify your opinion.
- Write Short notes on FOUR of the following topics or figures:
- a. Tudor prose.
- b. The characteristics of Restoration Comedy.
- c. Milton's epics.
- d. Modernism.
- e. Metaphysical poetry.
- f. Jane Austen.