Alexandria University Second Term Exam
Faculty Of Education First Year Time: 3 hrs
English Department Drama & Criticism
Section A: History
Comment Fully on Only Two of the following questions ( Maximum two oases. critical essays).
- The drama of the Merchant of Venice loses in appeal because Bassanio is not great enough to be a satisfactory hero” Discuss.
- To what extent can it be said that Shylock is a type of the Jewish nation, and Antonio a type of Christianity?
- "The merchant of Venice is a love story which leads up to a happy marriage." Comment.
- The elopement of Jessica and the complaints of Portia in Act 1, scene II show a type of fathers who refuse to play their roles in life as fathers, but as tyrants instead. Illustrate and write your viewpoint,
Answer Only Two of the following questions
- Show how the Wood Demon uncovers Chekhov’s philosophy towards maintaining what is natural.
- "Why are you telling me what to do? if I had my way , I wouldn't need you to show me how to live? I’d fly away, free as a bird." Comment.
- "The wood Demon emphasizes many images of hypocrisy, concealed hatred and hostility between nice people." Discuss.